How to participate
- Install QCN software on your laptop if the laptop model is currently supported by QCN.
- Request a USB sensor and install it on your desktop.
- Encourage K-12 teachers to participate in the subsidized USB sensor program.
- Encourage your friends and family to participate in the laptop or desktop network.
- Help implement a new sensors. More information below.
- Help QCN integrate real-time data into a shake-map.
- Help QCN with data archiving and data distribution.
- Provide suggestions and feedback regarding where QCN is succeeding and how QCN can improve. If there is room to improve and you can provide help in that field, QCN would greatly appreciate it.
- Develop a regional QCN network in your home town. Work with others to make a dense network in your area.
- Coordinate a Rapid Aftershock Mobilization Program following a major earthquake.
Sensor Types: The Quake-Catcher network can use your help interfacing with the following accelerometer-equipped electronics.
- Laptop Sensors: Acer, Dell, HP, Sony, & Toshiba
- Peripheral Sensors: STEVAL-MKI006V1 & MotionNode Accel
- Cell Phones: Symbian, iPhone
- Remote Controls: WiiMote
Programming Language: C++. If interested in helping, please see the QCN Sensor Develpment Kit.
Sampling Rate: 50 samples per second. Sampling must be anti-aliased (if the sampling is not already anti-aliased by the drivers/interface, over-sample, and average the samples per 0.02 second interval).
Axes: We prefer 3 Cartesian axes:
- X: Left Positive & Right Negative
- Y: Back Positive & Front Negative
- Z: Up Positive & Down Negative
- (If axis does not exist, then provide zeros)
Resources: We intend to use as little CPU power as possible, thereby reducing power consumption, wear and tear, and competition for competing resources (in QCN or outside). Ideal CPU Usage < 2%. Maximum CPU Limit
Amplitude Range: Ideal: +/- 2 g.
Amplitude Resolution: better than: +/- 0.001 g.
Operating Systems: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, OS X
Compatibility: The accelerometer should not interfere with mouse or keyboard controls.
Connection: USB (native ideal).